The woman who was found dead in her home in the central Sydney suburb of Goulding Lodge, north of Sydney, on Monday afternoon was apparently unaware she was in danger.
The 51-year-old woman was found unconscious and unresponsive at her home at about 2:00pm on Monday morning.
She had been using a gas mask at the time and was conscious and breathing when she was discovered, according to a statement from NSW Police.
Police confirmed to Fairfax Media that a gas leak had been discovered in the home but would not confirm whether the woman had been aware of it.
“The victim was in the bedroom when the gas was discovered and there was no indication she was exposed to the gas or was aware of the gas being present,” the statement read.
“Her initial response was to use the gas mask and attempt to put out the fire.
This is an incident that is being investigated as an accidental death.”
Emergency services were called to the house in the early hours of Tuesday morning and paramedics attempted to resuscitate the woman, but she died a short time later.
A spokesman for NSW Ambulance Service said that while it was not clear whether the gas leak was caused by a gas cylinder, it was “a very serious incident”.
“We have a number of staff in the building and we are working with a number people to determine exactly what occurred,” he said.
Emergency service workers were at the scene for at least an hour and a half on Tuesday morning as the coroner’s inquiry into the death was underway.
After the gas fire was extinguished on Tuesday afternoon, police and paramedics continued to work at the home for several hours.
Witnesses told news.com.au that a police officer approached the woman in the hallway of the home and warned her not to use gas.
”He said, ‘Don’t use gas’ and ‘Don�t go out with anyone, don�t take anything, just keep calm’,” said one of the witnesses, who did not wish to be named.
Another witness said that the officer had spoken to the woman and she was “very upset” but seemed “fine”.
Another woman who lives nearby told newscom.ai the woman appeared to be “very angry” and “didn�t want to talk to anyone”.
Another resident, who declined to give his name, said that he had seen the woman outside the house “trying to figure out what to say”. “
I think she wanted to get away from the gas but she didn�t know what to do.”
Another resident, who declined to give his name, said that he had seen the woman outside the house “trying to figure out what to say”.
After her death, police launched a “community safety review” into the incident and the coroner�s inquiry into her death will be conducted on Wednesday.
Topics:fire,law-crime-and-justice,victoria-2300,nsw,snoqualmie-2310,parramatta-2150,vic,newcastle-2328More stories from New South Wales